“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Dear Friend in Safety,
This note is “Uniquely California!” That is, it highlights the unique role that California communities have played in the growth of KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® these past 11 years.
For example, did you know that?
- Danville was the first city in the U.S. to integrate KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® into their neighborhood traffic calming initiative in January, 1999 (the campaign itself was only 5 months old).
- Oceanside was the first city in the U.S. to conduct a pre/post study on the effectiveness of integrating residents as a front-line solution to speeding in neighborhoods. This study was published in the Urban Transportation Monitor, and can be found at KKAD25 Proves Successful. One result of this article was hearing from traffic engineers and safety advocates from as far away as Australia and India.
- Oceanside’s efforts not only made a world of difference; they also influenced the first “ripple effect” for growing the campaign as it spread down the coast in San Diego County to the communities of Vista, Encinitas, Escondido, and Solana Beach, a pattern that has spread to other counties around the country. \
- The Roseville Coalition of Neighborhood Associations (RCONA) was the first coalition to work to mobilize a whole city in taking on the campaign. Their work influenced other Sacramento Area communities and continues to this day.
- The Oakland Pedestrian Safety Project and Pedestrian Friendly Alameda were the first two pedestrian safety groups in the country to work to launch the campaign in their communities.
- The Safe Communities Coalition at UC-Irvine introduced the campaign to Orange County communities, establishing the first bi-lingual (Spanish) campaign along the way.
Over 60 California Communities have initiated the campaign so far.
As summer arrives and even as your community prepares for the next school year, consider how a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign can work, or continue to build, to improve the quality of life on every street in your city. Contact us for direct support at 402-334-1391 or Tom@kkad25.org.
Thank you for all you do to make your neighborhood and community safer for all of us each day. And may you and all you care for have a safe, peaceful, and relaxing summer.
“Don’t Let the 2 Minutes You ‘Save’
Be the Last 2 Minutes of Someone’s Life.”
Adapted from David Townsend (Tia’s father)
KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® - A “For Action” Organization -501(c) (3)
www.KeepKidsAliveDrive25.org – Keep up with the latest at the KKAD25 Blog.
Keep Kids Alive Drive 25® and related logos and slogans (Be Aware! Drive With Care®, Check Your Speed®/No Need To Speed®, Stop! Take 3 To See®, Stop Means Stop®, Seat Belts-FASTENATING!®, and It’s Not A Race! Create Space©) are registered trademarks/copyrights of Keep Kids Alive Drive 25, P.O. Box 45563 Omaha, Nebraska, 68145. No other entities may use these or similar marks without prior permission. Call 402-334-1391 for information.