“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Dear Friend in Safety,
This note is about being “Open to Opportunities” The story of the growth of KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® in Ohio is a result of many motivated residents, law enforcement agencies, public works departments, neighborhood/homeowners associations, and businesses that have been open to opportunities to seed, root, and grow the campaign over the past 10 years. Your efforts have made, and continue to make, a difference in keeping us all safer on neighborhood streets, and beyond.
Following are examples of those who have “Opened Opportunities in Ohio!”
- The City of Columbus, through the Health Dept., was the 1st in Ohio (and among the first in the country) to initiate a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign. They have been growing the campaign since the fall of 1999 as an integral piece in their pedestrian safety efforts.
- The City of Toledo initiated the campaign through the leadership of their City Council, as did the City of Akron.
- Daniel Cole of Toledo spearheaded the building of a memorial to remember children who have died in local traffic incidents. I was privileged to speak at its dedication.
The Safe Kids Coalition of Summit County was the first in the country to spearhead a countywide initiative.
- Additional communities that have initiated a KEEP KIDS ALIVE campaign include Dayton, Sylvania, Wakeman, Oakwood, Washington Township, Eastlake, Parma, Piqua, Vermilion, Waterville, and Xenia.
Opportunities for Future Action!
We look forward to continue support of growth of our traffic safety initiatives as you act to create safer roadways for the benefit of everyone. Here are some opportunities you can exercise in your community.
- Invite your workplace to become a corporate sponsor/partner. Contact 402-334-1391 or Tom@kkad25.org to talk about possibilities.
- Be a catalyst for neighborhood/community involvement. All you need to get started is available for free at KKAD25 Start-up.
- Incorporate KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® into your local Safe Routes to School initiative. For more information on Safe Routes in Ohio, visit OH Safe Routes .
- Invite your local school to help seed the campaign in your community through a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® SCHOOL FUNDRAISER (Click here)
- Invite your local high school to create a safe-driving culture in their school - and in the community as well. (Click here to learn how)
- Your community can also benefit from on-site support to develop your community neighborhood traffic safety plan. Call 402-334-1391 or e-mail Tom@kkad25.org for information.
Thank you for all you do to make your neighborhood and community safer for all of us each day. And may you and all you care for have a safe, peaceful, and relaxing summer.
“Don’t Let the 2 Minutes You ‘Save’
Be the Last 2 Minutes of Someone’s Life.”
Adapted from David Townsend (Tia’s father)
Keep Kids Alive Drive 25® and related logos and slogans (Be Aware! Drive With Care®, Check Your Speed®/No Need To Speed®, Stop! Take 3 To See®, Stop Means Stop®, Seat Belts-FASTENATING!®, and It’s Not A Race! Create Space©) are registered trademarks/copyrights of Keep Kids Alive Drive 25, P.O. Box 45563 Omaha, Nebraska, 68145. No other entities may use these or similar marks without prior permission. Call 402-334-1391 for information.