“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Dear Friend in Safety,
This note is “Native Nebraska!” That is, it highlights the growth of the native born KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign, which was founded on the 12400 block of “C” Street in Omaha in August of 1998.
Since that time, did you know?
- The campaign has grown to encompass over 1000 communities representing 48 states, 2 Canadian Provinces, and the Bahamas.
- That dozens of neighborhoods in Douglas (including Omaha), Sarpy, and Lancaster (Lincoln) counties have initiated the campaign over the years.
- That the Future Business Leaders of America class at Friend High School was the first student-lead effort in the country to seed KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® in their community.
- That the Adams County Health Department in cooperation with the City of Hastings was the first to integrate KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® into their Safe Routes to School initiatives in elementary and middle schools. Learn more about Safe Routes to School at Safe Routes Nebraska.
- That Duteau Chevrolet and Time Warner Communication in Lincoln collaborated to produce the first KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® public awareness message. View this on our web site at Duteau Sponsored version. Let us know if you would like to use this in your community.
- That the Junior Optimists Club for the Norfolk School District was the first to initiate the campaign in their community. They also have been recognized for their efforts with a Safety Award from the Nebraska Department of Roads.
- That Senator Pete Pirsch (and in 2009, Senator Brad Ashford) sponsored a resolution in the Unicam declaring May 1st as KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25 DAY across the State the past 3 years.
- That corporate supporters of the campaign have included UPS-Omaha, Wells Fargo Bank – Omaha, Wheels for You, John Kraft/Gregg Young Chevrolet, Atchley Ford, Duteau Chevrolet, Time Warner Communications, State Farm Insurance – Doug Geyer Agency, Curzon Promotional Graphics, Barco Municipal Products, and Central States Insurance. (We always welcome additional corporate partners – call 402-334-1391 or e-mail Tom@kkad25.org)
- June 7th, the Spring Lake Neighborhood Association in Omaha promoted KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® through their participation in the Omaha Police Department’s Summer Safety Event at the South Campus for Metro Community College.
As we continue to grow here at home, and throughout the country/world, please know that KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® stands ready to support your neighborhood, school, business, faith community, and civic organization in creating safer roadways for the benefit of all who use them – pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, and passengers. As summer arrives, and as your community/neighborhood/school prepares for the next school year, consider how a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign can work, or continue to build upon past and current efforts, to improve the quality of life on every street in your city. Contact us for direct support at 402-334-1391 or Tom@kkad25.org.
Thank you for all you do to make your neighborhood and community safer for all of us each day. And may you and all you care for have a safe, peaceful, and relaxing summer.
“Don’t Let the 2 Minutes You ‘Save’
Be the Last 2 Minutes of Someone’s Life.”
Adapted from David Townsend (Tia’s father)
KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® - A “For Action” Organization -501(c) (3)
http://www.keepkidsalivedrive25.org/ – Keep up with the latest at the KKAD25 Blog.
Keep Kids Alive Drive 25® and related logos and slogans (Be Aware! Drive With Care®, Check Your Speed®/No Need To Speed®, Stop! Take 3 To See®, Stop Means Stop®, Seat Belts-FASTENATING!®, and It’s Not A Race! Create Space©) are registered trademarks/copyrights of Keep Kids Alive Drive 25, P.O. Box 45563 Omaha, Nebraska, 68145. No other entities may use these or similar marks without prior permission. Call 402-334-1391 for information.