MARYLAND – MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
Dear Friend in Safety,
This note is entitled “Maryland – Making a Difference!” When it comes to KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25®, communities throughout Maryland work to make a difference by putting care into action as they educate and engage citizens to create safer environments for us all on neighborhood streets, and beyond.
Following are examples of Marylanders Making a Difference:
· The Westminster Police Dept. was the 1st in the country to pass out KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® information cards to help educate drivers stopped for traffic violations.
· Mayor Sheila Dixon of Baltimore was the 1st Mayor in the U.S. to proclaim May 1st as KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25 DAY in 2007. She followed suit in 2008 and 2009 as well.
· The Prince George’s County Police Dept. was the 1st in the U.S. to develop a bi-lingual KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® campaign.
· Terry Ober of the Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Dept. was the 1st in the country to integrate KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® initiatives into a Teen Driver Safety Education program – SMARTDRIVE!
· Maryland has the highest number of County participants in KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® initiatives of any State. These include Wicomico, Talbot, Somerset, Howard, Queen Anne, Prince George, Dorchester, and Charles counties.
· Cities also participating include Hagerstown, Frederick, Laurel, Walkersville, and Westminster.
Continuing to Make a Difference in Maryland
As you can see, Maryland is a State that supports KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® by being first in many ways. We look forward to continue support growth of our traffic safety initiatives as you act to create safer roadways for the benefit of everyone. Here are some ways that you can help.
· Invite your workplace to become a corporate sponsor/partner. Contact 402-334-1391 or Tom@kkad25.org to talk about possibilities.
· Be a catalyst for neighborhood/community involvement. All you need to get started is available for free at KKAD25 Start-up.
· Incorporate KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® into your local Safe Routes to School initiative. For more information on Safe Routes in Maryland, e-mail Joseph Pelaiia, your State Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Invite your local school to help seed the campaign in your community through a KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® SCHOOL FUNDRAISER (Click here)
· Invite your local high school to create a safe-driving culture in their school - and in the community as well. (Click here to learn how)
· Your community can also benefit from on-site support to develop your community neighborhood traffic safety plan. Call 402-334-1391 or e-mail Tom@kkad25.org for information.
Thank you for all you do to make your neighborhood and community safer for all of us each day. And may you and all you care for have a safe, peaceful, and relaxing summer.
“Don’t Let the 2 Minutes You ‘Save’
Be the Last 2 Minutes of Someone’s Life.”
Adapted from David Townsend (Tia’s father)
Executive Director - KEEP KIDS ALIVE DRIVE 25® - A “For Action” Organization -501(c) (3)
www.KeepKidsAliveDrive25.org – Keep up with the latest at the KKAD25 Blog.
Keep Kids Alive Drive 25® and related logos and slogans (Be Aware! Drive With Care®, Check Your Speed®/No Need To Speed®, Stop! Take 3 To See®, Stop Means Stop®, Seat Belts-FASTENATING!®, and It’s Not A Race! Create Space©) are registered trademarks/copyrights of Keep Kids Alive Drive 25, P.O. Box 45563 Omaha, Nebraska, 68145. No other entities may use these or similar marks without prior permission. Call 402-334-1391 for information.