When you look at your driver's license, what do you see?
Is it simply a license to drive? Or, could it be a license to live?
Viewing it as a license to live opens up all sorts of possibilities about what we each can do to ensure that all our passengers, and all other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, and kids at play we encounter on or around roadways continue to experience the gift of life at the end of each day.
What does a license to live look like? It looks like:
- Buckling up, and making sure all passengers are buckled up, each and every trip - no matter how short or how long. Buckling up increases the likelihood of surviving a crash by more than 60%. Seat Belts- FASTENATING!®.
- Putting aside distractions - cell phones, personal grooming items, food, reading materials, etc. Make driving the sole focus and purpose for being behind the wheel.
- Observing the speed limit - or go slower in the presence of pedestrians, cyclists, kids at play, or due to bad weather. Be Aware! Drive With Care®
- Stopping at each and every stop-light and stop-sign. Stop! Take 3 To See® - make sure the coast really is clear before proceeding. 200 pedestrians deaths and 17,000 injuries each year are the result of drivers running stop signs.
- Not tailgating - leave 3 seconds distance between yourself and the vehicle ahead of you. Remember, "It’s Not A Race! Create Space™." 29% of crashes are a result of poor space management.
- Taking the message "Don't Drink and Drive!" seriously. Even with the emphasis on this message for decades, still we read about alcohol-involved fatalities every day. We cannot stress this message enough.
Each day will present you with hundreds of opportunities to exercise your license to live. The life saved may be your own or someone you love.
Remember, “Don’t let the 2 minutes you ‘save’ be the last 2 minutes of someone’s life.” David Townsend (Tia’s dad – Tia died at age 11, when struck by a motorist who chose to go around the stopped car in front of him while she and a friend were walking across the street in a marked crosswalk.)
Kids Alive Drive 25 - A Non-Profit "For Action" Organization 501(c)(3)